Tuesday, October 28, 2008

lost & lonesome treasures

Look at what arrived in the post for me today from Melbourne's lovely Lost & Lonesome:


The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, in all its blue vinyl glory, once again sends me to giddy heights of noisy pop love. Could they just be the best band of 2008? Yes? Probably. Yes. "Everything With You" is incredible, and the newly recorded version of "The Pains of Being Pure at Heart" sounds so warm and alive on the 45.

I've just finished listening to The Zebras' new EP, New Ways of Risking our Lives, and by gosh, if you loved Worry A Lot, you're sure to enjoy these five new tracks. My pick? Track 2 - "Push Our Way To The Front", which you can conveniently listen to on their myspace page. Listening to this has made me realise how much Brisbane misses them.

Still Flyin' are back with some new hamm jamms! Two tracks on this gloriously ghoulish CD - "Good Thing It's a Ghost Town Around Here" and "Drac's House" - just in time for Halloween. Who wouldn't want these cats swinging at your party? These songs make me want to dance like crazy! It seems like they can't get enough of Australia, too - they're coming back for next year's Laneway Festival, alongside the likes of Stereolab (!!!!!) and Jay Reatard.

I'll give the new Lucksmiths a spin next - a new album is always something to look forward to, and I can't wait to hear how their new songs sound on this splendid spring evening.

No comments: