(Warning: this is a terribly self-indulgent post. Things shall return to normal tomorrow...I hope!)
Tonight I've been compiling my first mixtape in ages and ages and ages. Years, in fact. Where once I was an avid mix-taper, making tapes with type-written tracklistings, filled with The Delgados and Hefner for all and sundry who would give me a chance, these days I've resorted to the streamlined CD medium. Yes, the track-listing remains as difficult to select, if a little less spontaneous, but it does seem like quite a cop-out. Here's a picture of me as an avid mix-tape maker back in 2003:
Ah, those were the days. Anyway, I decided to make a tape for a friend who has just discovered Beat Happening, and since all my Beat Happening stuff is on vinyl, I decided analogue was the way to go. Some of it's a bit noisy, and some of the choices are a bit cheesy (yes yes, I know, the Jens and Moldy Peaches tracks couldn't be more obvious), but I think it was a reasonable effort for somebody who's a bit rusty on the taping front.
1. The Clean: Billy Two
2. April March: Chick Habit
3. The Frenchmen: Steaming Train
4. The Aislers Set: My Boyfriend (Could Be A Spanish Man)
5. Pants Yell!: Kids are the Same
6. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart: This Love Is Fucking Right!
7. Black Tambourine: Throw Aggi Off The Bridge
8. Jens Lekman: A Postcard To Nina
9. Beat Happening: Nancy Sin
10. Felt: Sunlight Bathed The Golden Glow (demo)
11. The Moldy Peaches: Anyone Else But You
1. The Creation: Biff Bang Pow
2. Biff Bang Pow!: Miss California Toothpaste 1972
3. The Monochrome Set: B-I-D Spells Bid
4. Heaven 17: I'm Your Money
5. Crispy Ambulance: Deaf
6. Lush: Outdoor Miner
7. Heavenly: C Is The Heavenly Option
8. Josef K: Sense of Guilt
9. The Pop Rivets: Lambrettavespascoota
It was fun to make! If anybody would ever like to swap mixtapes or mix cds or mixes of any sort, please let me know because I am always up for a challenge.