Saturday, February 14, 2009

similarities

I've spent my Saturday cleaning and sorting through piles of CDs I need to find homes for - very exciting indeed. Whilst venturing through a shoebox full of old CDs, I noticed a certain similarity...

Art of Fighting - Wires (Trifekta, 2001)

Vivian Girls - Vivian Girls (In The Red, 2008)

The cityscape artwork is where the similarities end - the Vivian Girls' noisy punky girl pop is a fair distance away from the dreamy, sublime and understated beauty of Art of Fighting's first album. It appears as though Melbourne's Art of Fighting are still around, but I don't think they will ever be able to recapture how wonderful they were truly were upon Wires's release in 2001.

2 comments:

Darragh said...

I always preferred AoF's "Second Storey" to "Wires". Though, there is no doubt "Wires" was a great record.

alex said...

I never listened to 'Second Storey', although I suspect it is too late for me to revisit. Maybe, someday...