Friday, August 28, 2009

live: the lucksmiths, brisbane, 23/08/09

And so it ends: a chapter of my life that began as a 17 year old living in a horrible outer suburb closes, eight years later, on a balmy Brisbane Sunday night, with The Lucksmiths playing their final show to a sold out northern audience. It was a mixed audience: ardent fans who have been at their shows for years stood alongside emerging faces, a new breed who surely wanted to see this band just once before they never could again. 

When the break-up was announced, I was adamant I was going to see them in Brisbane, and I'm glad I made the whirlwind flight back for that one final night at The Zoo, where I'd seen them play countless times before. Part homecoming, part nostalgia trip, but mostly closure, I felt memories flood back of seeing them as an 18 year old in that very room, wearing Belle & Sebastian t-shirts, tartan skirts and knee socks, dancing to a band who helped me discover what it meant to be a pop fan. Years might have passed, but that same joy and sense of discovery still prevailed, as lyrics to songs I've not listened to for years were automatically recalled. 

My tapping toes never missed a beat, despite shoes that kept slipping off my dancing feet - one final dance to "Untidy Towns", "Smokers In Love", "T-Shirt Weather", "Under The Rotunda", et al. and the smile couldn't be wiped from my face. Hearing "Frisbee" played live for the first and last time was such a highlight, as were the closing numbers - "The Year of Driving Languorously" for the main set, and "The Music From Next Door" on the encore.  They might not have played my favourite song, "The Golden Age of Aviation", but I didn't mind at all - after two hours of The Lucksmiths and every other golden melody they've crafted, and I felt well satisfied. Pop fans around the world will miss their charm, wit and personality, and I feel incredibly lucky to have seen them play so often over the last eight years.

I didn't take any photographs, unfortunately, because I was much too busy dancing and cherishing the moment. A picture can't recreate the feeling of listening to their songs and reflecting back on all those shows.

I have the opportunity attend one of their final shows in Melbourne this weekend, but I am entirely torn by this. On the one hand, I'd love to hear their songs emanating live one final time, but my memory of the Brisbane show is just so complete that I am satisfied if I don't get to see them again. I don't want to spoil those thoughts by attending a show with an unfamiliar crowd, without that warmth that came from seeing them with those I know. 

Goodbye Lucksmiths - you've shown me such a great time, and your memories and songs will continue to burn strong!

6 comments:

toby said...

I still don't think it's hit me that the Lucksmiths are breaking up. I've had a few months to come to terms with it, but I'm afraid I'm still in denial, and probably will be for a while since I won't have the opportunity to come to closure by seeing them one last time.
I count myself lucky to have seen them the handful of times I did here in the States. I still remember vividly the gig they did at the Galaxy Hut in Arlington, VA around the time A Good Kind of Nervous was out. I think it was their first ever gig in the US, but the tiny bar was packed with Lucksmiths fans. I dragged my wife, sister and her husband to see them and they've been fans ever since.
Thanks for the recap of the gig, sounds like it was just about perfect, except for the fact that it was their last one ever.

Carlos said...

Hola Alex!

I was reading your review about Luckmisths' concert and I was seeing myself watching them in Madrid for the last time last july. I knew they wouldn't be together forever and as a fan of those tiny indie bands I have learnt to enjoy as much as I can of them while they're together, but I don't know why I wasn't prepare for the Lucksmiths break-up.

The concert here was amazing, as every time they played in Madrid. but it was sad also...They didn't play golden age of aviation, neither my favourite Southernmost (luckily they didn't, cause I think I would end up crying with it...ahh, too much memories)

I wish I could have been in Australia to be at one of those final concerts.

Maybe you should have entitled these post with "the chapter in our lives entitled The Lucksmits"...Nice post anyway ;)

un abrazo

p.s. I found these, maybe you like it...http://takethepills.blogspot.com/2009/08/va-music-to-hold-hands-to-tribute-to.html

alex said...

Wow, reading both of your stories about seeing the Lucksmiths a handful of times makes me realise how lucky I've been. It's wonderful to hear stories like these, though, because it makes the last show I saw even more special, knowing how special they were to everyone around the world.

I'll have to listen to the tribute record, too! Thanks for the link, Carlos!

Dennis said...

I've never seen The Lucksmiths. I wish I had, of course. Again I need that time machine. Nice post.

RevitaDerm said...

It's wonderful to hear stories like these, though, because it makes the last show I saw even more special, knowing how special they were to everyone around the world.

Perfect Radiance said...

I have the opportunity attend one of their final shows in Melbourne this weekend, but I am entirely torn by this. On the one hand, I'd love to hear their songs emanating live one final time, but my memory of the Brisbane show is just so complete that I am satisfied if I don't get to see them again.
Revitaderm