Thursday, July 3, 2008

liechtenstein + a bunch o' fives

Oh dear, I have been a little neglectful of late, owing to a whole load of worker bee busy-ness and a lack of time to trawl the web for new songs to listen to. Can you, dear reader, offer some recommendations to me? I've been meaning to listen to Liechtenstein for quite a while, so I might investigate them a little further and report back. Oh wait, I'm looking at their myspace now and have observed two things already:

1. Their song "Apathy" is enchanting my ears with those glorious harmonies. I could probably listen to this on repeat on a sad night. It's like the Marine Girls, 2008 style!
2. They're selling canvas totes screenprinted with buildings - I think I need one of these!


Alright, well Liechtenstein have converted me already!

Since we're now halfway through the year, I've had a chance to think about some of my favourite releases for 2008 thus far. I am head-over-heels in love with The Lodger's "Life Is Sweet", Je Suis Animal's "Self-Taught Magic From A Book" and Slow Down Tallahassee's "The Beautiful Light" - discovering these three albums alone has made my year all the more delightful. And, even though it's been receiving mixed reviews, I am very much enamoured with The Long Blondes' "Couples" - I can understand why people may have dismissed it after one or two listens, but with repeated listens, it's just smashing.

Here's five other things I'm enjoying right now:

1. Trash Video TV: Best video store ever! Watch these four french new-wave inspired advertisements, featuring all manner of Brisbane identities, and understand why we should all go to Trash for our film requirements and save the shop!

2. The Vivian Girls: I finally understand what all the buzz is about, and boy, it's like honey to my ears. Just amazing. I'm disappointed my copy of the "Wild Eyes" 7" hasn't show up yet - I'm starting to get itchy waiting for the album's re-release. I don't think anybody has a bad thing to say about them, which is just incredible - here's hoping somebody in Australia might release it and get them down here sometime soon!

3. Suede: It's been a while, but I'm revisiting my youth, dreaming about Brett Anderson and Bernard Butler. From the perfection of the first album to the glossy glamour of "Coming Up", I am enjoying every single minute of listening. I'm glossing my lips plastic at the mere thought of listening to "Trash".

4. Patricia Highsmith novels: I don't normally venture into the Crime section of the bookstore, but I'm reading "Ripley's Game" at the moment and I'm well hooked. I'm looking forward to reading "The Talented Mr Ripley" next, but I might go with watching Alain Delon film versions first, then move onto Jude Law, Matt Damon and John Malkovich versions.

5. Northern Soul: Last weekend I attended my first Northern Soul night and had a terrific time watching ex-pat Brits dancing the night away like they were at the Blackpool Mecca all over again. I didn't get up and dance, but I'm going to learn some more and hopefully next month I'll know a few songs.

1 comment:

Kippers said...

Mexican Kids At Home and Wonder For All (both on WeePOP) are well worth a listen, if you've not heard them already (or even if you have!).