Tuesday, January 12, 2010

More than Standard Fare?

Regrettably, it's taken me until now to pay attention to Sheffield's Standard Fare, a trio playing the type of crashing, simple pop with sassy girl vocals I've been known to love more than a little bit. Rough Trade said: "If you love Kenickie, The Long Blondes, The Siddeleys or Girls At Our Best you will fall instantly in love with Standard Fare." Given my love of all these bands, I think it's time to take heed of such a glowing endorsement.

What's sealed my interest has been the release of their new single "Fifteen" via Thee SPC - it's three minutes of tales of young love and all the mistakes that youth brings, set to classic jangle that English bands produce so well. I know I'll be listening to all those "ba-ba-bahs" in my head all night long, drowning out the traffic sounds and rain, and I think I'm ready to elevate them more than a little higher in my listening ranks.

I'll be going back and listening to more Standard Fare - I know last year's "Dancing" was well regarded by quite a few people, and I'm willing to indulge in some belated festive cheer with their Christmas song, "Tinsel Politics". It doesn't really matter what time of the year it is - I love a festive song regardless of the season.

Best of all, if you're lucky enough to be in America, they'll be playing SXSW! Super envy!

Buy "Fifteen" here!

5 comments:

nyc popfest xo said...

loooove this band! nice post!

NoRecords Records said...

bonjour,
peut-être cela vous interessera-t-il :

http://eveden7.blogspot.com/

à bientôt

jim

www.mydpace.com/eveden7

wrinkle cream said...

Great band!!! It is perfect for all ages. No wonder why many people love this band and I am one of them

Italia said...

What you’re saying is completely true. I know that everybody must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand. I also love the images you put in here. They fit so well with what you’re trying to say. I’m sure you’ll reach so many people with what you’ve got to say.

Wrinkle Cream said...

I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand. I also love the images you put in here. They fit so well with what you’re trying to say. I’m sure you’ll reach so many people with what you’ve got to say.