Saturday, May 3, 2008

travel update #1

Hello blog readers!

As you may be aware, I'm on the other side of the world at the moment. I'm currently sitting in a flat in north London, having just returned from a week in Sweden. Yay! I'm currently contemplating travelling to Brixton on my own tonight, to attend Amelia Fletcher DJing at How Does It Feel To Be Loved?, but I am awfully scared about doing so.

Unfortunately, I'm not posting from my own computer - it seems to have an aversion to wireless internet and broadband networks over here. As a result, I haven't been able to upload any photos of my travels so far. Instead, a brief update of some of my travel (and music) highlights so far!

- Last Friday night I went to see Minisnap and Ghost Club at the Brixton Windmill - it was fitting to watch New Zealand bands with antipodeans on Anzac Day (a major Australian and NZ memorial day), and it was a great show. Tiny Kay from Minisnap was wearing a Magic Marker t-shirt, and if the venue wasn't so small and full, I would have danced a whole lot more. Ghost Club played Sonic Youth esque noise rock, and the songs were really terrific.

- I went to Another Sunny Day, an indiepop club in Stockholm, with one of my oldest internet friends. It was so strange and exciting to meet someone who I'd known via the internet for ten years, but had never met. Moofish Catfish played at the club, and they were a whole heap of buzzy fun, and afterwards the Swedish pop the DJs began playing certainly had some of the crowd dancing. Unfortunately we had to leave to catch the last subway home, but it was fun to hear Suede, Moneybrother, Hakke Hellstrom and more at a club night.

- The last day of April is a major day of celebration (and drinking) for Swedish students, and I was right in the epicentre, in Uppsala, one of Sweden's biggest university cities. Even though I didn't get to see any bands, it was a crazy experience to sit in the Swedish spring sunshine, drinking beer and attempting to speak Swedish. Luckily there was an American guy to share poor Swedish language skills with!

- Records? Not very many so far, but that will change this week, I'm sure.

Tonight is How Does It Feel To Be Loved?, featuring a DJ set from Amelia Fletcher. I'm a bit scared about going, but perhaps I can drag my sister along for a drink and a dance!

More updates soon, and I will share some photos when I have an opportunity to.

1 comment:

Dennis said...

Moofish Catfish, live! I'd love to see that.